TMJ(Temporomandibular Joint) or TMD(Temporomandibular Disorder)
- Pain is the most common symptom that initiates patients to seek treatment. The pain can be temporary or may last for several years. The pain can be associated with the face, joint area, ears, temples, teeth, shoulders or neck.
- Inability to open your mouth very wide. This symptom is commonly seen when a patient is seeing the dentist for treatment and has to hold their mouth open for a long period of time.
- Jaw that gets locked in the open or closed position. This can occur while yawning or even clenching your teeth.
- Clicking, popping, or grinding sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth.
- Sore jaws after chewing. This is evident if the patient cannot chew gum for more than ten minutes without becoming tired and sore.
- Difficulty chewing hard food.
- Ringing in the ears or Tinnitus.